Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Euro Livin'- Rain, Rain, Go Away


When I woke up this morning I was greeted by the soft chirp of birds singing out my window. “Wow”, I thought as I grabbed my shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops, “Another beautiful day here in Sittard, who would have guessed?” I ripped open the window shade, my eyes already squinting in anticipation of the brilliant sunshine when…

This happened.

Last time I was here I thought it rained hard the first few days, but now that I’ve seen the rain today, I would like to retract that statement and say it drizzled for a few days. This is rain, this is epic. It’s the kind of rain where you have to be extra careful when hydroplaning through a puddle that you don’t accidentally run over a fish. I mean, we are in The Netherlands, I’m kind of scared the dike might overflow.

However, despite the monsoon, we did manage to get out for a fun ride this morning with lots of puddle jumping and rooster-tailing, and I’m pretty sure only a couple of us will get Giardiasis from the water splashed up into our mouths. On most of the rides we’ve done in and around Sittard we’ve just been riding the road, simply and unfortunately because we just don’t know where any mountain biking is. I don’t mind, though. To me, it’s the roads and villages along them that define a place and always keep reminding me, in a good way, how very far from home I am. The little towns you pass by every ten kilometers or so are very euro. You know when you watch a stage in the Tour de France and the helicopter camera floats over a quaint medieval outpost with the spider-webbed cobbled streets and the lazy town square and you say to yourself, “Ok, every town in Europe can’t be like that…”? Well, from my limited experience, they are! The sidewalks are scrunched into the brick apartment buildings leaving just enough room to turn on a dime and avoid the speeding rally cars racing through streets obviously originally designed for horses and carts. When riding through town you can almost see how the shops were arranged in the order of need; first the bakery, providing The Netherland’s staff of life, followed by the butcher (how does one expect to work the farm all day without ample protein?), then the produce market (maybe, I mean what does lettuce do for you after meat and bread?). This is all followed by the café (because what would the world come to without a day started by coffee and a croissant? The Dutch may not be French, but they’re not animals).

After you pass all these simple necessities you’re just about out of town and on your way to the next one, except for perhaps the flower store. It appears they take their flowers seriously here.

Getting to this point, however, is actually harder than one would think. Every cyclist makes the mistake when coming over to Europe and thinking that just because it’s the birthplace of cycling and it’s so much more popular over here that it’s any safer to ride your bike. Sure, The Netherlands has the most best developed cycling infrastructure I’ve ever seen. The miles of painted red bike lanes through every town even into the country is a modern marvel, but get out of the bike lane, or into one of the areas that is lacking one and watch out. It’s not like the US, I mean, I have yet to come across someone honking and shouting expletives at me while flipping the bird, in fact it’s completely the opposite. Here bikes and cyclist are just so ingrained in the culture and daily life that most drivers simply don’t notice you. You’ll be flying through those same medieval streets half an arm length away from the apartments to your right and a driver will come up on your left with even less gap than the most anti-bike red-neck back home would dare try; it might mess up his car! Cyclist in Europe have almost become an invasive species. Over here, we’re like pigeons; it you hit one, who’s really going to notice?   

After riding, our day pretty much stalled out for a little while. We watched some of Le Tour, but soon became bored by that. Don’t get me wrong, I like watching road racing more than your average mountain biker, but over here they show the entire stage. From two in the afternoon when the stage starts, about four hours south of us, till they finish about four hours later they show the entire 220 kilometer race. It’s awesome, until the novelty of it wears off. At this time we switched to Netflix (AKA- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off).


We thankfully did have some of our day taken up by cooking, though. In an effort to decrease the amount of young, semi-professional cyclist dying of starvation every year, USA cycling arranged for us to have a cooking class last night where four of us were able to prepare dinner for the entire camp. It was actually really fun. We got to wear aprons and drape towels over our shoulders just like the pros!

I was assigned salad duty (anyone who has hung out with me for any amount of time would know why. I really dig salads).

 

The other three (Garret, Carson, and Steffen) were on the main course- baked halibut with mashed potatoes and vegetables in a cream curry sauce. I felt like they drew the short straw.

With pretty limited cooking knowledge between the four of us I think we did a pretty good job. The salads seemed to be a big hit (probably because I cheated and put bacon in them), but the real star was the entrée.

 
It was a great experience being in such an industrial kitchen and I feel like we learned a ton. I can’t wait to see if cereal seems any easier when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment